Thursday, June 30, 2011

Let's call it a 1920's Ribbon Handbag

Jumping back in time again, to the beginning of March 2011: I found a really cute vintage handbag on etsy.com. The seller said it was from the 1920s, so I'm just going with that.

It sold while I was waffling over buying it.

Hmph, well I WANTS, it. I have a ton of 1 and 1/2" wide, blue double-sided satin ribbon leftover from another project. I paired it with white double-sided ribbon, and made this:



 

My version is taller than the original (I like to have plenty of room for my crap). The base of the original looks egg-shaped to me, but mine is just an oval.

The ribbons in the original were probably stitched together by hand. I used a stitch on my machine that resembles a feather or fern stitch:


Now, dummy me used a tearaway stabilizer for this; tearing the stabilizer out caused the stitches to distort! Lesson learned: I could've used a washaway stabilizer. It's poly ribbon. IT CAN GET WET.

P.S. this last photo also shows that I completely flubbed making french knots. Sheesh.




No comments:

Post a Comment