When I left off, I had gotten my warp wrapped around my improvised warp beam, and had strung up the cards. I just had to secure the warps to my "cloth beam" and then I could get started weaving.
|The "cloth beam" is just another clamp. I rather|
lazily secured the warps with a medium Gem clip.
They weren't super secure, but good enough for
me to get started.
|When I started weaving, scroll frame arms tended|
to pivot and cause slack in the warps. I flipped
the clamp around, which helped but didn't
eliminate the pivoting.
1. Could I get the warps properly rolled onto a warp bar?
The warps here are 80 inches long, which makes them only slightly longer than the 72 inch warps for my pink stocking garters. The stocking garters have 37 warps, though, whereas this project has 64! Anyway, with the exception of the pivoting problem, I got a very satisfactory wrap round my improvised warp bar.
2. Can I really work a pattern where the cards rotate only one way?
I don't think so, but I must be missing something. After I had woven about a foot, the warps behind the cards had turned into ropes.
|By turning the cards only one way, the warps|
got twisted to the point where I couldn't move
the cards back any more.
Also: I decided I should just turn the cards in the reverse direction.
|Two turnaround points, where I reversed the turning|
direction of the cards.
Anyway, my third goal was to get a better understanding of how card weaving works.
My fourth goal is to find a solution for Laura's weaving problem, which she talks about partway through this post. I don't think I have an answer yet.
In the meantime, the piece is done!
|The back side looks nice, too!|
I got the pattern from eqos at Deviantart (she calls this one "Korba"). Check her out, she generously gives these patterns away.
I was aiming for 60 inches and ended up just one inch short. The weave is tight but not totally consistent; I think that once I can keep the warp evenly tensioned, I can achieve better consistency.
But I must find a solution to Laura's problem....