Sunday, June 24, 2012

Edwardian Parasol Workshop

What a fun day! Yesterday I taught a class for the Greater Bay Area Costumer's Guild, "Edwardian Parasol Recovering Workshop." I had eleven enthusiastic, talented, and creative students. No one finished, but just about everyone just had to do the final attaching-to-the-frame.

This was the first class I've ever taught for the GBACG (I've taught privately and at Costume College). I do wish everyone had been able to finish, and have some ideas for next time. Yes, there will be a next time, I had a ton of fun and would do it again!

Here's a photo recap of the day (scroll to the end to see some of the results!)

Umbrellas packed, student packets packed.
Parasols packed!
A handful of antiques from my collection. I brought them to
give a lecture on history and mechanics of parasols.
Some more antiques and two modern, recovered parasols.
AJ de-nuding her umbrella, with Tara and Leah.
Chris and Lynn stitching away.
Noelle, cutting deliciously striped silk.
Tara and Judith, who is deeply
contemplating her trims.
Lynn made her two smocking pleaters available for the
class (this one has been at my house for a few
weeks...I've had MUCH FUN with it).
We used them to gather up the rosettes.

And here are some of the results!!!

Judy's stripes.
Judy made her outside rosette extra long. Love it!
Anne's plaid.
Plaids just do GREAT on parasols.
Lynn's, with pinned on gimp
(there will also be FRINGE!)
Great deep dome.
Leah's cotton stripes. You can
run your stripes around, or up and down!
Manon's sea foam blue silk.
Tara's printed silk.
When we stepped outside, it positively
GLOWED.
I'll have follow-up posts for the two frames I prepared as demo's for this workshop, and then maybe I'll, like, stop talking about parasols for a little while. Maybe. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I wish I could have attended this class! What gorgeous results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lauren. I love workshops, everyone comes up with something entirely different for the same thing. That's just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete