Sunday, August 7, 2011

Parasol Workshop, Part 1

Yesterday I lead a workshop for five of my girlfriends, in which we recovered parasols. This post is basically for their benefit, because I did a pretty botched up job explaining how to do the seams. Gals, skip to the photos.

For those of you who weren't there: the seams on parasol canopies are sewn in a particular manner that I assume gives them both strength and flexibility. While I haven't done an extensive survey, my experience, and that of my parasol mentor, Lynne Taylor, indicates that this method is nearly ubiquitous. I've seen it even on hand-stitched canopies.

Anyway, here's what I'm on about:

1: stitch the seam, using a small stitch length.
2: fold the seam allowance under.

3: stitch over the seam and the folded allowance. Try to stitch on to of the first stitches, or slightly towards the seam allowance.
4: what the seam looks like on the other side.
Since this parasol restoration has turned from "to-do" to "in progress", I'll chat about it some more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment